The Mens Checkered Shirt

shirt, mens section, style

winter, style, fashion, check

Checkered Shirts Are My Weakness

Although some may say checkered shirts make you look like a lumberjack, I am in the majority of those who think checked shirts are kick ass. The few photos of myself on this blog is always featuring some sort of checkered shirt because they are a staple in my wardrobe. I can divide my wardrobe to different checkered shirts; Summer checkered, autumn checkered, winter checkered- basically I'm all checkered out for every season.

All my shirts are made from thin/ sheer material therefore I've been looking for a thicker material to brave the biting coldness of winter. After searching high and low for the perfect thick checkered shirt until finally this treasure was nestling in the mens section in BHS waiting for me to take it home.

I've always had this perception that BHS was a shop for the more 'mature' ladies and gents. Every time I go in with my mum, I could say that seeing a cluster of teenagers is a rare rare sight- rare enough for David Attenborough to document it. I really think more teens should go into this shop more as it has good quality reliable clothing.
















The Checkered Shirt 

Buying this shirt was one of those awkward shopping experiences. It was in the men's sections and a sales assistant kindly asked whether I needed any help. She suggested that she could help with the sizing of the shirt to suit my boyfriend/ guy. Funnily enough, this shirt was for myself and when I replied to her question, she was so embarrassed. It just made me think that even though clothes are gendered mainly for the sizes, is it not socially acceptable to wear mens clothing?

There was an array of colour combinations with reds paired with dark navy and an ivy green which was also paired with navy. I chose the red combo as the vibrant red contrasted against the dark navy making it look more dimensional and less flat, it's also a 'classic' colour combo.

The texture is a lot thicker than the ones found in New Look however, the collars are more structured therefore if you decide to button it all up, it can be pretty stiff. This little problem can be solved by leaving the few top buttons open. Simples.

It is undoubtedly oversized and reaches way past your bum. As a result, it's safe to pair it up with a pair of leggings and it becomes the most comfortable outfit ever. This outfit is great lounge wear for just mooching around the house but you can also dress it up with some leather trousers and a cute little crop top.

Frankly, I've been living in this shirt for the past week and I will miss it dearly when it goes in the wash but I'm sure when it's dry, it's going to be thrown straight back on.


Are you into the checkered shirts craze or are you not a fan? 


1 comment

  1. I love this! Such a cool piece to have in the wardrobe. I'm the same - always a sucker for a nice checkered shirt :) x

    ReplyDelete