Highlights of 2020 for Forever-Hibernating


 A worldwide pandemic? Couldn't have predicted that!

There's no escaping covid-19 news. The new norm of face masks, social distancing and an abundance of hand sanitisers has made 2020 a year of practicing strict levels of hygiene. It would be a strange and memorable time to reflect back on in 20 years time- unless we are hit by another pandemic.

Lockdown has presented itself as a challenge for various aspects of life from wellbeing to mental health, from careers to education. Yet- there are a couple of things that deserve a notable mention. I feel like the dynamic of society has unconsciously shifted where people have become more caring and making that extra effort. The transition to working from home has pushed the concept of flexible working a reality. It has built a society more resilient to change, adapt and mindful of others. 

 1st Class graduate

A personal success of 2020 is that I have graduated with a 1st class Marketing Management degree from the University of Lincoln. It's weird, I cannot pinpoint when my education journey ended- it was a random Wednesday. Graduation ceremony still pending. 

Going new places 

I was super lucky to be able to go travelling this year...to some extent. In February,  covid-19 was still a distant murmur in the west so off to Brussels I go. If you ever go to Brussels, you need to try their chips! Before this trip, I had never associated Brussels with chips. They have found the delicate balance of being crispy yet fluffy and a whole meal in itself/ 

In August, my friend and I was able to venture to Brighton for her early birthday celebration. After being stuck indoors for so long, it was a nice break to the covid routine by going somewhere different. Brighton is a vibrant place brimming with vegan delicacies and lots of independent shops so you are spoilt choice. But, it is also home to fearless seagulls that get too close into my personal bubble.  

Mindset on Overconsumption 

This is something that I am becoming more and more interested in. I believe we live in a society of overconsumption where we desire the next trendy thing, the next thing that's on offer- always going next next, next. This has undoubtedly led to a life of overconsumption; not appreciating the things that we have. It has made me more mindful of my purchasing habits and what is the motivation behind my decisions. I am planning to write a longer post on this in a few weeks. 

Befriended the neighbourhood cat 

The transition from living in a studio apartment by myself to moving back home was pretty brutal. The lack of freedom compared to university has been the biggest shock to the system, it was no longer acceptable to be consuming curly fries at 2am or nip to tesco express at 10:40pm. It has meant that I no longer have access to my gym membership which has made me neglect my health. Funny thing is that I feel more comfortable waking in my neighbourhood if I had a purpose, so I recently befriended the neighbourhood cat and its pushed me to go out more. 


I think that it for a small little round up of 2020- albeit a bit late.

No comments